[darcs-devel] symlink suport

Ian Duggan ian at ianduggan.net
Fri Apr 14 16:34:17 PDT 2006

Hi,

I've been following darcs for awhile and have recently started using it. I was
wondering if the lack of symlink support is a philosophical thing, or if it
just hasn't been added yet.

Subversion has this note on their site, maybe this approach would work for
darcs? I don't know how one would use properties in darcs, or how this would
play with the patch merging stuff. Comments?

Subversion 1.1 (and later) has the ability to put a symlink under version
control, via the usual svn add command.

Details: the Subversion repository has no internal concept of a symlink. It
stores a "versioned symlink" as an ordinary file with an 'svn:special'
property attached. The svn client (on unix) sees the property and translates
the file into a symlink in the working copy. Win32 has no symlinks, so a
win32 client won't do any such translation: the object appears as a normal
file.

Ian

ian at ianduggan.net
http://www.ianduggan.net