[darcs-devel] review policy revisited

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Thu Feb 24 11:43:25 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 17:51:30 +0100, Guillaume Hoffmann wrote:
> I was thinking about this thread again. Maybe we already have what we
> want, but we don't dare acting as we should to make it work?

I think we need to attack the two points separately.

1. How much review should patches come with?  It looks like nobody has
   time to do detailed review (and are put off by the expectation to do
   such reviews).

2. Can core team members self-accept patches (after a delay)?
   I think we're all OK with relaxing Obligatory Review in principle.

   Basically:
   - Petr suggested it
   - Guillaume +1s
   - Ganesh    +1s
   - Eric      +0
   - (no word from Florent - who I doubt would violently object)

> Saying "ok, these patches seem to do what's written on them and nobody
> complained about them since X weeks they are in screened, so I'm
> pushing them" should be fine. This is more or less what I did for
> Ganesh's patches on patch code refactoring.

OK, if nobody objects I think the new policy should be

1. Brief reviews should be the norm.  One-liners are fine.
   No silent reviews yet.

2. Core team members can self-accept patches after a week but are
   expected to use their judgment wisely.

Sound good?  I suggest we implement this if there are no red lights,
say within a week.