[darcs-users] darcs on OS X, darwinports

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Mon Oct 31 06:38:43 UTC 2005

    Jason> Can anyone hint at how to install darcs on OS X 10.4 via
    Jason> darwinports.

I don't have Tiger, but I successfully bootstrapped darcs (I build
from a copy of David's stable repository now) from darwinports on
Panther.  Since I currently have about a dozen ports that can't be
upgraded due to incompatibility with Panther, I'm unsurprised that the
incompatibility goes the other direction, too.

I would suggest filing bug reports with opendarwin first
(http://www.opendarwin.org/en/bugzilla/).  Although they haven't fixed
my problems yet, they responded quickly and tried hard.  :-)

I can also say that I've build GHC from CVS on Mac OS X about a dozen
times now, and as long as you put everything under fptools and do
_not_ install sources that are not supported on Mac OS X:

    hdirect = old foreign function interface
    hood = debugging utility

You can also omit

    greencard = another old FFI
    nofib = test suite.

Darcs also builds from a darcs checkout many times.  I suppose the
tarballs would work for you.

Although it sounds like a lot of work, if it's going to work it
probably isn't as much as you might think.  Since you're working with
a proprietary operating system, you should assume that upgrades to the
OS _will_ cause problems with DarwinPorts ... having do-it-yourself as
a fallback is very helpful.  (I upgraded from Jaguar to Panther
10.3.3, and to every minor revision of Panther since, and have had
something I use daily fail in every single case.  Not GHC or Darcs
yet, though. :-)

    Jason> These tow problems aren't related, but I'd like to know how
    Jason> to get darcs running on my server and in a way that I can
    Jason> use apache to point people to repositories.  (It's not
    Jason> clear how to do this when installing from the binary
    Jason> available at the darcs home.)

You don't _need_ darcs running on your server at all.  Set up sshd to
run on the server, and use

           darcs push user at server:/var/share/www/darcs-repo

or similar to push from your local repo via SSH.

If you have other reasons to want to run darcs on the server, then
we'll work with that.  But it's not necessary to run darcs on the
webserver to publish a repository.