[darcs-users] darcs patch theory

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Tue Aug 12 21:37:44 UTC 2008

Hi all,

[If you're getting this mail directly then it's because you've given me
 the impression you might be interested in darcs patch theory. If that's
 not the case, or if you just want to read this stuff on the darcs
 mailing list, then let me know and I won't bother you further]

I've just spent a couple of days trying to make my darcs patch theory
doc more understandable. There's now a load of fluffy explanatory text,
and some pretty pictures to try to help explain what is going on.

This is still very much a work in progress, and isn't as formal as it
could be, but I hope it is now free of large errors. Also, it now
describes something much closer to what darcs actually does than the
previous version. The proofs are still all missing, and there are a
couple of (marked) places where the formal description is particularly
vague.

PDF is here:
    http://urchin.earth.li/~ian/theory.pdf

LaTeX source is in a darcs (1) repo here:
    http://urchin.earth.li/~ian/theory/

Comments and patches welcomed!

Thanks
Ian