[darcs-users] darcs Oversight Committee (Software Freedom Conservancy)

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Fri Nov 21 13:11:36 UTC 2008

Hi everybody,

We are getting closer to signing the Software Freedom Conservancy
agreement (hereby attached).

Before doing this, we will need to address the question of who is
representing darcs to the Conservancy, and how do we change this
representation should the need arise.  This is potentially an
important decision because the Conservancy will be holding on to our
funds for us.

The simplest option would be to go with one person (say me), but as
Trent and Stephen pointed out in the discussion, it would be prudent for
us to safeguard against this one person going insane, in short doing
something that meets and deserves violent opposition from the rest of
the community.  So what I propose is a modest extension to this
approach:

 - one developer will represent darcs to the Conservancy
 - this developer is chosen by an oversight committee and will
   serve indefinitely
 - the developer can be withdrawn and replaced at any time by
   the oversight committee

Does this principle work for everybody?

Implications
------------
On the one hand, this could be limited only to our relationship with the
SFC.  In practice, however, I believe this would be changing (and
formalising) our model for darcs governance that is from a Benevolent
Dictatorship to a Benevolent Dictatorship with an ejector seat.

Details on the Oversight Committee
----------------------------------
I recommend it be kept fairly small (say 5 people) and that the
committee decide how to run themselves.  Ideas:

- have an odd number of people, and use simple majority voting
- refresh the committee every year by replacing a member
- have some representatives from the developer and the user
  community

I'm not sure what are the criteria for eligibility to join the
committee.  One way to do it would be just to establish a committee by
consensus here, and them let them decide.  I propose the following
members for Oversight Committee 0 should they accept the job:

- David Roundy
- Jason Dagit
- Ian Lynagh
- Mark Stosberg