[darcs-users] darcs patch: resolve issue784: fix file handle leak and check for exceptions on process running.

Salvatore Insalaco kirby81 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 06:08:41 UTC 2008

I'm sorry for not using darcs send: unfortunately my mail are blocked
by the mailing list spam filter.

This patch should hopefully fix issue 784 (Windows complaining while
paging the help).

There where three things involved:
1) There is a file handle leak in pipeDocToPager when an exception is
raised. This is the direct cause of the "permission denied" errors, as
you can't delete an opened file in Windows.
2) ortryrunning doesn't check for exceptions: in Windows a failed
runProcess returns an exception.
3) runProcess on Windows require explicit ".com" suffix for .com
executables. We should add "more.com" to the list of possible pagers.

By the way: a bit thank you to David for Franchise. I finally managed
to compile and patch darcs under Windows installing only GHC and a
couple of Haskell libraries (HTTP and zlib, required by cabal too). No
MinGW, no Cygnus. Surely we could improve the build process (the
configure step before every compilation is a bit annoying), but this
is a huge step forward.

Salvatore