[darcs-users] Data Integrity

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at theingots.org
Thu Apr 9 13:33:20 UTC 2009

Hello,

I tried using Monotone for a while, but I have now gone back to Darcs. I
just find it so convenient to make change A, then B, then C, and then
decide I want to modify or delete A and I can just do it. It's great!

But I do wish that Darcs had the integrity guarantees that Monotone has
(and apparently Git and Mercurial too). Does anyone know if there has
been any work in this area? It looks like a difficult problem. If you
can re-order patches, as you can with Darcs, I can't immediately see how
you can make a checksum that will work correctly whether a repository
has patches AB or patches B'A'.

You /could/ make it so that all patches are digitally signed. So, if you
download patch A, Darcs might modify it into A' before applying it, but
you can at least verify that A was written by Daniel Carrera because it
has his signature. Anyone know if that would be a difficult feature?

Cheers,
Daniel.