[darcs-users] An example of a "complicated" change?

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at theingots.org
Mon Apr 13 15:45:52 UTC 2009

Hello,

In a different thread, Stephen wrote:

 >   Snapshot-based VCSes like Mercurial impose a partial historical
 >   order on changes, and in order to refer to a particular change or
 >   set of changes, you must refer to the particular pair of revisions
 >   whose diff is exactly that set of changes.  In the case of a set
 >   of changes, that pair may not exist, requiring many VCS operations
 >   on revision pairs to build up a "simple" set of changes.

Can anyone give me an example of one such merge that is "complicated" in
a different VCS (e.g. requires several steps, or human intervention) but
is simple in Darcs?

I'm thinking that I could use this as example #2 in the documentation.
So the tack would be "this is something Darcs does better" rather than
"this is something only Darcs can do".

Cheers,
Daniel.