[darcs-users] Darcs Team update (and help wanted!)

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Thu Aug 6 10:45:50 UTC 2009

Hi everybody,

There's been a few changes to the Darcs Team lately and which I would
like to give an overview of:

 * Reinier will be taking over from Petr as Release Manager
 * Eric (me) will be taking over from Thorkil as Issue Manager
 * Darcs will now be using a commit-bit model for development

I am very grateful to Thorkil for stepping in as Issue Manager at a time
when we most needed the help.  But recently, we have decided that it's
probably best for Thorkil to move on and hopefully pick up some other
roles within the team :-).  Thanks to Thorkil for the bug tracking help
and also helping us to work out a usable bug tracking policy!

I'll say more about the commit bit stuff in a separate mail.

Meanwhile, check out http://wiki.darcs.net/DarcsTeam for more details on
the current Darcs Team.

Help wanted
===========
I'd also like to point some areas that we could use some help in.  No
Darcs Hacking experience required, just a little spare time and
enthusiasm :-)

Patches
-------
Your role would be to watch over incoming patches and make sure they get
reviewed.  This is somewhat similar to the role I was playing before we
spread out the commit bits.

---
The FAQ is something that needs constant gardening, just a tiny bit
attention every week, planting here, trimming there

Overall we want to make sure that the FAQ answers the questions people
have (this probably involves monitoring the mailing list and IRC
channel) and anticipates the questions people should have :-) The FAQ
should be well-organised and easy to add to.  Technically speaking, the
job should be a little easier now that we're using Darcs to manage the
wiki.

More info: http://wiki.darcs.net/FrequentlyAskedQuestions

Events and fundraising
----------------------
So far we've had two Darcs hacking sprints and whole lot of fun at each
one!  The sprints are useful because they allow us to focus on Darcs for
a few days, and interact face-to-face and to get in touch with our less
regular contributors (hi).

I'd be interested to have an organiser for these events.  We want to
have two Darcs hacking sprints a year, one of them preferably being in
conjunction with a Haskell Hackathon.  As a minimum, the job would be to
find suitable venues (perhaps recruiting local volunteers), advertise
the sprints and help us raise funds to travel to the events.

But there's lots of room for creativity here.  In the big picture, your
job is to generate Darcs Hacking Time.  What about helping us to throw
together little local mini-sprints througout the year?  How about
organising some sort of programming contest?  How about helping us
establish a presence at open source events like FOSDEM and OSCON?

More info: http://blog.darcs.net/search/label/sprints

Thanks!

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9