[darcs-users] my work in progress

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Tue Dec 22 22:03:07 UTC 2009

Hi,

With the freeze coming up, I thought I'd flag up various pieces of work
I've been doing in order to get feedback on what I should try to get into
2.4. I think I've put it in rough order of priority as I see it.

Also, there are a few feature patches that are stuck in the review system:
patch72 and patch106 in particular. I think in both cases they are
awaiting some action by the author, but failing that perhaps other people
should try to progress them. I certainly should be able to help with
patch106.

There are also a bunch of my patches awaiting review (hint hint :-) but I
don't think any of them are particularly important to the release as they
are mostly code cleanups.

Cheers,

Ganesh

- issue121 "wish: amend-record --ask-deps"

I've got this mostly implemented in a local repo, but it depends on some
other patches to add witnesses more widely that I haven't submitted yet
(see below) which in turn depend on some simple ones that are still
awaiting review. However I could probably amend it not to have any
dependencies and thus get it in for 2.4 without further delay, which would
probably make sense as this is a feature rather than just an internal code
cleanup.

- interactive patch editing

I'm not sure we ever really finished the design of the user interface. We
probably should before 2.4...

- base-4/extensible exceptions code changes

Nearly done - see patch119. This may be worth doing simply because it
reduces the flood of warnings with GHC 6.12. It also makes darcs as a
library more compatible with other code - see e.g. Marc Weber's recent
email on that subject.

- add witnesses in lots more places

I've got every module compiling with witnesses, except for
Darcs.Commands.Changes and its dependencies (which is nasty for various
reasons). This will depend on patch117 and also some of the things I've
done will probably need some careful review from someone (most likely
Jason) and so should be taken slowly. Probably not a priority for 2.4.

- darcs rebase (also known as transplant)

This certainly won't make 2.4, but I mention it for completeness. I've got
quite a long way with the basic infrastructure for it, to the point that I
can use it myself to rebase patches, though it's not exactly user friendly
yet :-) I certainly expect it to be done for 2.5, and at some point within
the next few weeks I will send out details of the design etc and open a
discussion on that design and what the user interface should be.