[darcs-users] where did 2.2.1 go?

Petr Rockai me at mornfall.net
Wed Feb 11 00:13:07 UTC 2009

Hi,

I know, the promised 2.2.1 got lost in the cracks. I'll try to tend to it this
week. There doesn't seem to be particular demand for it, anyway. The rc1 has
seen about 6 downloads so far, so I don't expect it to be very well tested
either. If anyone can think of a way to get some real-world testing to the
release candidates, please tell me, I am out of ideas... Also, the
distribution-making procedure seems to be very tedious. I would actually
consider to drop autotools support for 2.2.2, since just making a hackage
tarball and uploading to hackage is *so* much easier.

I'd even be in favour of making point releases on hackage silently, unless
important fixes are included. Writing announcements is tedious, too.

Opinions?

Yours,
  Petr.

PS: Yes, I'm quite tired and hard pressed to find excuses for doing things like
releasing darcs. Hacking is less boring and there's only so much time I can
spend on these things, you see. I'm not saying I'm stepping down -- that
wouldn't be very nice of me. But I would welcome some effort in the community
to reduce the manual work required for every release. I am proposing to drop
autotools from releases ASAP to help with that. If we release a real important
fix, we can make autotooled tarball available as well, no problem. The other
thing I will try to do is hack the buildbot configuration to also produce
builds from the release branch.

Ahh. I'm off to bed. Sleeeeep...