[darcs-users] fundraising starts soon - $1000 for hacking sprint travel

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Fri Feb 13 16:24:25 UTC 2009

Hi everybody,

As I mentioned in an earlier mail, the next darcs hacking sprint is
coming up soon.  I think this would a great chance for us to experiment
with a little fundraising, starting with a relatively small target:

  Let's aim to raise $1000 to help people pay for travel to the sprint
  (Utrecht, 17-19 April).

To keep things simple, we will distribute this money equally among darcs
hackers (this will be on the honour system: if anybody claims less than
her share, we'll just redistribute accordingly).

Raising the funds
------------------
I'm still waiting on paperwork for just to join the Software Freedom
Conservancy to simplify the process.

Once we have joined the SFC, I intend to put up a donations page
following this model:

  http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/donations.html

This will have Google checkout, Paypal, snail mail and wire transfer
coordinates.

Also, I am also considering putting a sort of sponsors page on the site
(since nobody seems to object).  If you are interested in sponsoring the
darcs project, please get in touch with me.

Finally, if we don't hear back from the SFC soon, we may be better off
trying to do something ourselves (e.g. I could set up a personal PayPal
account).  I'll give us another week before I look into this option.

Thanks!

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9