[darcs-users] Benchmarking "get"

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Tue Mar 17 21:55:52 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 02:49:52PM -0600, zooko wrote:

> He also reported the sizes of the repositories:
>
> $ du -sb git-side
> 76990124        git-side
>
> $ du -sb darcs-side/
> 57285206        darcs-side/

Oh, that's something I hadn't looked at:

275656  camp
171656  darcs1
475400  darcs1hashed
208900  darcs2
433980  git

(campfrag omitted because it doesn't make sense).

darcs1, darcs1hashed and darcs2 have all the patches (separately)
compressed. I assume the large usage in darcs1hashed and darcs2
is due to orphaned hash pristine files. If I do a get on all the repos,
and also make uncompressed *un copies, then:

275656  camp
172464  darcs1
331924  darcs1un
172464  darcs1darcs2
331976  darcs1darcs2un
160476  darcs1hashed
326780  darcs1hashedun
162020  darcs2
330000  darcs2un
431632  git

So all the darcs compressed and uncompressed repos are about the same
size as each other. camp (uncompressed) sits in the middle. git is
surprisingly (to me) large, but I don't know what it stores.

Thanks
Ian