[darcs-users] review policy revisited (some loosening and new features)

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Sun Nov 8 23:16:03 UTC 2009

Hi everybody,

Slightly looser review policy?
------------------------------
I propose we loosen up the patch review policy just a tiny bit.  The
idea would be that anybody on the review team can just push patches to
things that don't really need formal review:

- contrib
- homepage
- distribution/packaging stuff
- build system

- regression tests (?)

This basically means anything but the source and documentation.

If nobody says anything by the sprint, I'm taking this as assent (except
for the regression tests bit, which some may find objectionable)

Questions for new features
--------------------------
Perhaps it'd be useful if we some rough template for how to deal with
new features.  I was initially going to phrase this as 'formalising our
resistance to new features' because I believe that it's a easy to
accumulate things and inch our way towards bloat if we aren't careful
enough.  But on further reflection,  I think we can see this also as way
of helping people to implement new features, by giving them a little
better idea what to expect and also a little more confidence about how
well things will go over.

I think we want to get some kind of clarity on what to do with them
fairly quickly, so maybe a standard list of questions to answer would be
good.

Here's a first stab:

1. To what extent does this make new things possible (as opposed to
   simply more convenient)?

2. Does this change any pre-existing workflows?  Does this introduce
   any incompatibilities?

3. What are the possible unintended interactions with other
   pre-existing features?

4. What are the alternative approaches to solving the same problem?
   Why do we prefer this one?

Thoughts, comments?  If people like these ideas, we can stick them on
the wiki for future use by patch reviewers.

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9