[darcs-users] [darcs-devel] [issue1648] darcs apply -i <foo.dpatch is wrong

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Sun Oct 11 15:16:21 UTC 2009

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 08:02:33 +0000, Trent W. Buck wrote:
> When "apply interactive" is in ~/.darcs/defaults, patches cannot be
> read from standard input.  This breaks workflows in e.g. mutt.

Oh!  That's worth keeping in mind for folks (like me) who want apply
-i to be default

> It might seem counterintuitive to have "two" input streams, but
> clearly something like this can be implemented, because less(1) does
> it.  For example, "dmesg | less" will let you scroll up and down,
> which presumably is reading the arrow keypresses from stdin.

less(1) may not be reading its keypresses from stdin but directly from
the terminal (I'm not sure if I'm using the right terminology or if
anything I'm saying makes sense, but I recall something similar with
OpenSSH being clever enough to write things out not to stdout but to the
screen).

Darcs on the other hand is not so clever, and we (incidentally) exploit
that stupidity to script our interactive testing (echo yn | darcs foo).

Hmm, not sure what to do about this, so I'm replying to the list in the
hope that somebody will pipe up with a nice, elegant solution that will
just fix everything.

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9