[darcs-users] darcs benchmarking stage 2

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Tue Feb 16 22:34:13 UTC 2010

Hi everyone,

Just some updates on the benchmarking front for the upcoming Darcs 2.4
release.

Here's the recent set of changes, largely from your input on the matter:

 - The Darcs wiki now uses an experimental version of Pandoc with
   rudimentary RST table support <http://github.com/kowey/pandoc/tree/rst>

 - darcs-benchmark has been updated to print out tables in the RST
   simple table format (cabal update; cabal install darcs-benchmark)

 - You can now limit the benchmarks being run by issuing --only
   substring (eg. darcs-benchmark run --only record --only revert)

Request to darcs benchmarking volunteers
Please

 - cabal update
 - cabal install hashed-storage (should be 0.4.7)
 - cabal install darcs-benchmark
 - darcs get --lazy http://darcs.net/releases/branch-2.4

 - produce some test benchmarks for the darcs darcs repository,
   e.g "darcs-benchmark run darcs-2.3.1 darcs-2.4rc1 / darcs"

 - paste the result into the
   http://wiki.darcs.net/Benchmarks

We'll have to sort out the formatting of that page later.

Any CSS gurus around?
=====================
Also, it would be nice if somebody could edit the Darcs wiki
static/css/custom.css file so that the tables are as
readable/informative as possible.  If you want to help,

  darcs get --lazy http://wiki.darcs.net
  darcs record
  darcs send

Phew
====
I hope this works out... there may be some more changes to
darcs-benchmark yet.  For instance, we still need a nice way to account
for darcs optimize --pristine.

Thanks!

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9