[darcs-users] (lack of) darcs hosting

Gour gour at atmarama.net
Mon Nov 15 09:08:01 UTC 2010

Hello!

I am darcs user since its very beginnings and must admit that I did
not find some better DVCS which is so simple and intuitive to use.

However, thinking about upcoming open-source project, I've often
looking for some alternative DVCS for which there is some public
hosting available.

Mostly, it came down to bzr/LP & hg/bitbucket.

Some months ago I became enthusiastic about Monotone and the prospect
of having hosting available via indefero.net along with mtn support.

Seeing that, development with indefero.net is quite slow, I've decided
to move to Fossil (http://fossil-scm.org) which provides easy/light
self-hosting along with a distributed wiki & bug tracker.

So, my point is that, despite of lot of endeavour from the darcs team
to enhance darcs, it's not possible to have more darcs-adoption in the
era of Github-like providers offering, more or less, complete
solutions for managing (all) aspects of (open-source) projects.

I'm sorry to leave and will monitor what's going on with the Darcs,
but just wanted to share my personal experience hoping to see some
darcsforge-like project in the future and/or support for darcs in some
of the bigger players in the public hosting arena.

Yes, I'm aware of Trac+darcs plugin...

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Hlapicina, Croatia  | GPG key: CDBF17CA