[darcs-users] Co-Release management + feature alphas

Florent Becker florent.becker at ens-lyon.org
Sun Oct 17 14:54:02 UTC 2010

Hi list,

this is my self-nomination for being the next release manager, if i can
get someone to be my assistant (or vice-versa).

As an almost-half-release manager, I'd like to propose that in between
releases, whenever there's a significant user-visible change, we prepare
an alpha release on hackage, so that we can advertise it and get some
testers. Whether this is done by just releasing the current state of
head or backporting the changes to the last stable will depend on:
-maintainer motivation
-feasability for that feature
-date within the release cycle
-phase of the moon
-how the previous  (if any) feature-alpha was made.

Hopefully, this gets us even closer to release-early, realease-often,
and makes it less frustrating to contribute features, especially if they
end up being released in the second next version of darcs.

Florent, the first RM with a platform