[darcs-users] darcs UI: send = bundle file; send --mail = mail

Eric Kow eric.kow at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 12:44:04 UTC 2012

On 21 Aug 2012, at 18:39, Florent Becker wrote:

> Maybe there should not be a
> "default-configed-mailer-I-didn't-even-know-was-there". How about the
> following UI (modulo wording)?
>
> #darcs send -a
> Creating patch to [destination repo]...
> I see you haven't configured 'sendmail-command' in ~/.darcs/config
> I don't know how to send this bundle, saving it as bundle.dpatch for now.
> NOTE: You may use your mail client to send this bundle.
> NOTE: If you want 'darcs send' to send a mail directly, add the line
> send sendmail-command COMMAND
> to your ~/.darcs/config

Using presence/absence of --sendmail-command to control it (rather than adding a new --mail flag) sounds like a sensible idea.  We should probably look into the situation for Windows users; don't we pass through the MAPI or something like that?

I also would be careful about adding new interactive prompts, hopefully we can do it in a slightly more principled fashion that allows us to really use the interactivity for what it's good at (making powerful concepts trivial? reducing people's memory burden?) without turning it into an annoyance (my usual anti-confirmation-prompts vendetta)

--
Eric Kow <http://erickow.com>