[darcs-users] Colouring and pagination

Ash Moran ash.moran at patchspace.co.uk
Sun Jan 27 15:08:56 UTC 2013

Hi,

I just decided to see if I could get coloured pagination working, as ever since I've started using darcs, piping through `less` etc has always wiped colouring for me.

I looked first in `darcs --help` and eventually tracked it down in the manual as one of the environment variables[1]. Now I have DARCS_ALWAYS_COLOR and DARCS_DO_COLOR_LINES (woah!!!) set. (DARCS_DO_COLOR_LINES sets the colours to something very similar to my Sublime Text theme, so I'll think I'll stick to it.)

But is there any way to get darcs to automatically paginate if its output reaches over one screenful? One of the things I like about the git UI I like is that the output of e.g. `git log` is paginated. I've got an alias set up, dl="darcs log | less", which helps, but this then paginates even if the output is short. I suppose I could go through and make aliases for everything, but it seems something darcs could do in a saner way.

On a related note, I think it would be quite nice if the output of `darcs log` was coloured too, it'd be a bit easier to browse that way.

On another related note, I just figured out why Sublime Text doesn't highlight diffs from darcs – if anyone else uses Sublime you could always go and upvote my bug report[2] :-)

Cheers
Ash

[1] http://darcs.net/manual/bigpage.html#env:DARCS_ALWAYS_COLOR
[2] http://sublimetext.userecho.com/topic/149253-/