[darcs-users] currently preferred way to import history from Git

Ivan Zakharyaschev imz at altlinux.org
Wed Jan 21 15:51:17 UTC 2015

Hello!

I've started to explore the available ways to import history from Git,
and have come to some uncertainty.

First, I used Google, and it gave me
<http://darcs.net/DarcsBridgeUsage>. Then, looking at [the history of
the page](http://darcs.net/_history/DarcsBridgeUsage), I realized that
there was some uncertainty with which source repo to announce there.

So, to explore all related wiki modifications, I did:

$ darcs get http://darcs.net/darcs-wiki
$ cd darcs-wiki/
$ find . -iname '*bridge*'
./Bridge.page
./DarcsBridgeUsage.page
./GSoC/2011-Bridge.page
$

And a surprise: there is also http://darcs.net/Bridge , which seems to
be more fresh:

$ darcs log -- Bridge.page | head
Changes to Bridge.page:

Wed Jan 21 02:06:25 MSK 2015  bfrk <>
  * fixed the command sequence for incremental export

Thu Jun 12 23:21:50 MSK 2014  Guillaume Hoffmann <guillaumh at gmail.com>
  * clean and update darcs-vs-others pages

Fri Aug 16 17:50:25 MSK 2013  owst <darcs at owenstephens.co.uk>
  * Update bridge page to recommend darcs-bridge
$ darcs log -- DarcsBridgeUsage.page | head
Changes to DarcsBridgeUsage.page:

Fri Aug 16 17:52:22 MSK 2013  owst <darcs at owenstephens.co.uk>
  * Re-add darcs-bridge repo url, now that it should support simple
one-way conversions

Thu Apr 11 19:08:03 MSK 2013  Owen Stephens <darcs at owenstephens.co.uk>
  * Various updates to Bridge information on the wiki

Mon Apr  8 01:16:43 MSK 2013  owst <darcs at owenstephens.co.uk>
  * It's not true that darcs-bridge is contained in mornfalls
darcs-fastconvert repository...
$

Which tool should I prefer? Are they substantially different? Does
`darcs convert` work better than `darcs-fastconvert` from
darcs-bridge? Are there any news in this area?

These things seem not to be clarified on the wiki. At least, a note in
<http://darcs.net/DarcsBridgeUsage> stating that it is obsolete (if
this is true) and linking to the more fresh page would help.

Also, if I'm using darcs-2.8.4 from my distro, and according to the
wiki, `darcs convert` is available in darcs-2.10 only, then should I
build a new darcs or try to build darcs-bridge?

Best regards,
--
Ivan