[darcs-devel] performance regression

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Sun Dec 5 05:05:01 PST 2004

On Sat, Dec 04, 2004 at 11:14:03AM -0500, David Roundy wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 04, 2004 at 02:53:35PM +0000, Ian Lynagh wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 04, 2004 at 08:48:04AM -0500, David Roundy wrote:
> > > It seems that there is a significant regression in darcs' speed at running
> > > check:
> > Odd, I don't see a noticable difference between 1.0.0, darcs-unstable
> > and my tree doing the above on a darcs repository.
>
> Hmmm.  That's odd.  I consistently get current darcs taking 50% longer
> (measured user CPU time) than darcs 1.0.0 here (freshly recompiled, so it's
> not a compiler difference or anything like that).
>
> I wonder what the difference between your system and mine is? Mine is
> basically a debian sarge system.

I'm not quite sure what the trouble was, but after finding that identical
code was 30% faster than the recent version when compiled in a separate
repository, I discovered that removing autom4te.cache, configuring, making
clean and recompiling fixed the regression.  :( But I *did* get to use
trackdown, so it wasn't *all* bad... :)
http://www.darcs.net