[darcs-devel] Re: [darcs #127] openBinaryFile: resource busy (file is locked)

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Thu Dec 9 23:26:38 PST 2004

Mark Stosberg wrote:
> On 2004-12-09, Tommy Pettersson via RT <bugs at darcs.net> wrote:
>
>>Thu Dec 09 17:29:11 2004: New ticket: 127.
>>Transaction: Ticket created by ptp at lysator.liu.se
>>       Queue: Darcs
>>     Subject: openBinaryFile: resource busy (file is locked)
>>       Owner: Nobody
>>  Requestors: ptp at lysator.liu.se
>> Ticket <URL: http://bugs.darcs.net/.//Ticket/Display.html?id=127 >
>>darcs 1.0.1rc2
>>I select some hunks to record, enter a name and choose to
>>write a long comment.  In the editor I only see the patch name,
>>not the trailing comment and the change summary.  When I save
>>and exit the editor I get:
>>  Fail: /home/tommy/kod/wily/w9_work/darcsrLBQeW: openBinaryFile: resource busy (file is locked)
> I reproduced part of this bug with my 1.0.1rc2 build:
> - The ***DARCS*** bit and everything below it was missing from the tmp file. (Bug, I assume).
> - But I didn't get the openBinaryFile file failure.
> This is on FreeBSD 4.8.

I get the openBinaryFile failure on Mac OS X -- it happens any time I
use --logfile, or if I *don't* save the file when editing it in vi. If I
do save it, I don't get the error -- presumably because vi
unlinks/recreates the file thus giving it a new inode. Mac OS X seems to
have... odd behaviour regarding inodes/hardlinks/something. I've had "rm
foo" complain it can't delete a file, but "mv foo bar; rm bar" work
fine. It's weird.

Cheers,
aj