[darcs-devel] Re: ssh failure message (was: darcs patch)

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Fri Dec 10 05:15:42 PST 2004

On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 03:35:54PM +0000, Mark Stosberg wrote:
> Should diagnostic messages docs be integrated into the manual? If so,
> someone with enough knowledge to verify the wiki docs should indicate
> which ones from there should be translated.
>
> If they go in the manual, should they all go in place like the on the
> wiki, or try to be broken up and put with the related commands that emit
> them?
>
> My instinct is to have them all in one place in the manual, but to have
> particular sections include notes: "If you receive a diagnostic message
> when running this command, please see the "Diagnostic Messages" chapter
> for further information.
>
> I believe one issue is that a failure in a core library be emitted by
> several front-end commands.

Indeed, it would be nice to have in the manual an organized section for
diagnostic messages.  In this case, since push is the only command that
runs darcs on a remote machine, it's perhaps not so bad to stick it right
in the push docs.  And I'd probably have been a bit less verbose if I had
written this bit, which is why it *would* be nice to have a separate
section in the manual for things like this, and just stick a little table
in each command listing the error messages that are possible along with a
reference to the long description.
http://www.darcs.net