[darcs-devel] darcs patch: bash completion made more robust regarding shell speci...

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Wed Dec 29 07:51:58 PST 2004

On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 10:04:50PM +0100, Guillaume wrote:
> Le 28 déc. 2004, à 21:00, David Roundy a écrit :
> >I wonder if it would be a good idea to support NUL-delimited output on
> >more commands? We could, for example, support it for annotate output (or
> >the hypothetical query command), which could be helpful when viewing a
> >listing of files in the repository.  If there are enough such uses (and
> >enough users for the uses) perhaps we should add a --nul-delimited flag
> >that could be used by various commands to modify their output.
>
> Yes, this could be interesting for those commands that output newlines.
> I've not really looked at darcs code (please don't ask my Haskell
> level!). Would it be easy to add such an all-commands flag, ignored by
> all commands in the first implementation, and make commands adopt it
> one by one, following demand and developer time availability?

Adding flags to darcs is very easy, although I'd probably only include the
--nul-delimited flag on a command-by-command basis.  Adding support for
actually responding to such a flag is also relatively easy to encapsulate.
My main concern is that adding an all-commands flag makes darcs slightly
harder to use (more useless flags to read through), so I'd rather not do it
unless it's a definite improvement.
http://www.darcs.net