[darcs-devel] [darcs #20] suggestion: allow 'add' to add parent directories automatically

Mark Stosberg via RT bugs at darcs.net
Sat Nov 6 14:22:38 PST 2004

Sat Nov 06 17:22:38 2004: New ticket: 20.
Transaction: Ticket created by markjugg
       Queue: Darcs
     Subject: suggestion: allow 'add' to add parent directories automatically
       Owner: Nobody
  Requestors: mark at summersault.com
 Ticket <URL: http://bugs.darcs.net/.//Ticket/Display.html?id=20 >

Sometimes when I try 'darcs add' on a file, it complains:

"parent directory 't/' isn't in the repo."

I would like a flag to tell darcs "I know. I mean it anyway. Please
add any parent directories as needed".

I suggest:

-p --add-parents  Adds any parent directories necessary for add to succeed

The "-p" is named after "mkdir -p", for which it serves the same
purpose.

I suppose for symmetry you might also need:

--no-add-parents Don't add parent directories. Expect them to be there.
                                 [DEFAULT]

        Mark