[darcs-devel] [darcs #55] wish: better subject line for 'darcs send'

Mark Stosberg via RT bugs at darcs.net
Mon Nov 8 13:24:13 PST 2004

Mon Nov 08 16:24:11 2004: New ticket: 55.
Transaction: Ticket created by markjugg
       Queue: Darcs
     Subject: wish: better subject line for 'darcs send'
       Owner: Nobody
  Requestors: mark at summersault.com
 Ticket <URL: http://bugs.darcs.net/.//Ticket/Display.html?id=55 >

Current messages generated with darcs send all have the subject line
'darcs patch'. This makes the resulting messages difficult to organize
in mail readers becaues they all look the same.

I suggest using "darcs patch: " plus the first 57 characters of the name
of the first patch. (For a total of 70 chars total)
If the patch name is more than 57 characters, chop it down to 54 and
"..." to the end of it.

If you wanted to be really fancy, you could enhance the subject if there
were multiple patches by chopping it down a bit more and adding:

"...(plus 2 more)"

Example:

darcs patch: improve the handling of subject lines...(plus 2 more)

I could write a test for that if it would help.

  Mark