[darcs-devel] Spam!

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Sat Nov 13 03:53:09 PST 2004

On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 01:04:32PM -0600, Taral wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 05:44:56PM -0500, rxorders at drugstore.com via RT wrote:
> >
> > Thu Nov 11 17:44:55 2004: New ticket: 71.
> > Transaction: Ticket created by rxorders at drugstore.com
> >        Queue: Darcs
> >      Subject: Vicodln - no r-x needed - inexpensive
> >        Owner: Nobody
> >   Requestors: rxorders at drugstore.com
> >  Ticket <URL: http://bugs.darcs.net/.//Ticket/Display.html?id=71 >
> >
> > This transaction appears to have no content
>
> Okay, so greylisting isn't perfect. How about a challenge-response
> system? This is one case where that is acceptable...

I wouldn't mind a challenge-response system for RT, if someone would write
one or tell me how to set one up... I *definitely* don't want spam coming
through the BTS.

Another more circuitous (but possibly simpler to implement) solution might
be to create a subscribers-only moderated bugs mailing list, It's pretty
easy to moderate with mailman, and pretty easy to whitelist posters.  This
could have the advantage that people could subscribe to the bugs list to
get all bugs-related email.  For this to work, I'd have to set it up
somehow so that only the mailing list could send mail to the RT bug
system.

On the whole, the challenge-response sounds nicer, if it's easy to
implement.
http://www.darcs.net