[darcs-devel] darcs patch

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Fri Nov 26 12:34:18 PST 2004

Hi,

I found darcs sending the initial checkin patch for an untarred 12M
tarball (of nhc98) takes forever (in fact, as I write this it's just stack
overflowed:
    Shall I send this patch? (2/11) [ynWvxqadjk], or ? for help: d
    Stack space overflow: current size 8000016 bytes.
    Use `+RTS -Ksize' to increase it.
). Here are the patches I made, but I don't think I have time to go into
this properly. Two addditional comments:

It takes a while before it prompts you at all. I think this is due to
time spent comparing patches for equality when doing things like
is_patch_first. Given we have unique names in this case (the filename in
_darcs/patches) I think these should be used for the comparison, only
falling back to == if we don't have a name.

I fear we are needlessly converting between strings and PSs. I don't
have any evidence or anything, I just fear it  :-)

Thanks
Ian, wishing I had more time to spend on this

Fri Nov 26 13:20:09 GMT 2004  Ian Lynagh <igloo at earth.li>
  * Optimise printableStringFromPS for Char

Fri Nov 26 13:28:13 GMT 2004  Ian Lynagh <igloo at earth.li>
  * unsafeHeadPS and unsafeTailPS

Fri Nov 26 13:52:12 GMT 2004  Ian Lynagh <igloo at earth.li>
  * Tweak takePS

Fri Nov 26 16:32:54 GMT 2004  Ian Lynagh <igloo at earth.li>
  * Fiddle with unpackPS a bit. Not sure what the best answer is yet.