[darcs-devel] UUID patch (was: Re: darcs patch)

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Tue Nov 30 12:33:03 PST 2004

On 2004-11-30, Karel Gardas <kgardas at objectsecurity.com> wrote:

> David,
>
> first of all, thanks for your kind review. This patch was intended just
> for start of design discussion. It seems you have not tried it directly,
> so I will at the first describe intended implementation and then have some
> notes below.
> This patch changes patch ids as represented in inventory file and patch
> file names in patches directory. Example of patch which is created by
> using this functionality is:
>
> file name:
> 20041129233520-0cd4196f-835b-4c3c-a54f-63e9604a5ec4-fb047-9c569495995ed25c450e05bbe01af2d9ed7e01ce.gz

Karel,

I appreciate your work on this. Do we really need so many extra digits, though?
I thought extending the date to microseconds should be sufficient.

If patch names are going to be changed in a non-compatible way, I think
I want to get more out of the change. For example, I don't think it's
possible to change the patch name now because it's used compute the
patch name (correct)?

Isn't the the case that with UUIDs should be sufficiently unique on
their own to identify the patch uniquely?

I'd just like to avoid patch names that are 100 characters long if we
aren't really making use of all that's embedded in the name.

    Mark