[darcs-devel] merges

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Thu Sep 23 04:10:32 PDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 01:29:34AM -0500, Taral wrote:
> I have an idea: What if merger patches an optional "resolution patch",
> which was to be applied in place of the "glump"? That would
> substantially reduce the time complexity of the code, as well as making
> manual merge resolutions much clearer.
>
> Comments?

Not a bad idea.  It would trade of space for time, but not much space.  The
merger itself already can be huge, when there are multiple conflicts, and
the resolution is usually pretty small (at least doesn't grow exponentially
in size).  The catch would be that you'd have to figure out how the
resolution patch behaves on commutation.  This probably wouldn't be too
hard, but it's an easy area in which to make mistakes, and subtle mistakes
can be hard to notice and hard to track down (which is why most of the
merge issues are postponed until after 1.0.0, so that I don't introduce
any repo-corrupting bugs).
http://www.abridgegame.org