[darcs-devel] [darcs #297] 'push' reports on a conflict, but gives me no way to resolve it.

Tomasz Zielonka tomasz.zielonka at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 12:49:07 PST 2005

I am resending this. Apparently the previous message was lost during
darcs.net mail server outage.

----- Forwarded message from Tomasz Zielonka <tomasz.zielonka at gmail.com> -----

Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:49:11 +0100
From: Tomasz Zielonka <tomasz.zielonka at gmail.com>
To: Mark Stosberg via RT <bugs at darcs.net>
Cc: darcs-devel at darcs.net
Subject: Re: [darcs-devel] [darcs #297] 'push' reports on a conflict, but gives me no way to resolve it.

On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 09:54:49AM -0500, Mark Stosberg via RT wrote:
> Here's situation I'm stuck in:
>
> 1. darcs push refuses to 'apply' and reports conflicts.
>
> 2. grepping for conflicts finds no conflict markers.
>
> 3. 'darcs resolve' reports no conflicts.

I think it is related to:
    http://www.abridgegame.org/pipermail/darcs-users/2004-November/004163.html
    http://www.abridgegame.org/pipermail/darcs-users/2004-November/004158.html

AFAICS, you have two choices. Let's name the repo you were pushing from
as A, and the one you were pushing to as B.

First solution:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    1. pull from B to A, which should generate the conflict in A
    2. resolve the conflict locally in A
    3. push from A to B, including the patch that resolves the conflict

This way you can avoid having unresolved conflicts in a push-only repo,
which is a good thing.

Second solution:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Allow pushes to B that create conflicts. You can do this by adding
    apply   mark-conflicts
or
    apply   allow-conflicts
to _darcs/prefs/defaults in repo B.

> In summary, darcs is telling me there are conflicts, but giving me no
> clear options to view or resolve them. This an important bug.

Yes, it seems to be a documentation/interface bug.

> If a workaround is necessary and available, "darcs push" should tell me
> about it when it fails.

Good idea.

I've got such error message from darcs:

    darcs failed:  Refusing to apply patches leading to conflicts.
    If you would rather apply the patch and mark the conflicts,
    use the --mark-conflicts option to apply.
    There are conflicts in the following files:
    ./x

This seems to be generated by 'darcs apply', since 'darcs push' has no
--mark-conflicts options. This is indeed confusing. I'll see what can be
done about it.

Best regards
Tomasz

----- End forwarded message -----