[darcs-devel] Re: [darcs #306] colourisation of darcs patches to indicate whitespace/newlines/patch-boundaries

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Sat Apr 2 04:02:43 PST 2005

On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 12:51:52PM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> DR> Perhaps we could have two environment variables
>
> DR> DARCS_COLORIZE_PIPES (default: undefined which means false)
> DR> DARCS_DONT_COLORIZE_WHITESPACE (default is to colorize, if you define
> DR> this it doesn't)
>
> While you are at it, could you also consider an option to turn
> off the \xx hex encoding completely when the output is passed to
> a pipe (like "less")?  Also being able to pipe each hunk to
> "less" properly configured [*] in the hunk selection interface
> used in "darcs record" would be extremely useful.

Hmmm.  Perhaps that should be the default? Since (being a typical
american... well in some ways not quite typical...) I don't use non-ASCII
characters, I don't see the \xx encoding, and generally hope that people
who *do* actually see such things will tell me what to do...

I suppose that you may not want your less getting confused by weird
characters, but if the output is a pipe rather than a terminal, it seems
like it ought to be considered safe to dump the text raw.
http://www.darcs.net