[darcs-devel] darcs patch: clarify wording of "w" in patch selection.

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Thu Apr 7 04:37:09 PDT 2005

On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 09:06:38PM -0400, Mark Stosberg wrote:
> Tue Apr  5 20:02:03 EST 2005  Mark Stosberg <mark at summersault.com>
>   * clarify wording of "w" in patch selection.
>
>   I consider this an interim solution. I think it's probably best to take command
>   out. People can already review a patch again later by using "j" and "k".
>
>   In the longer term, the idea of implementing "/" and "?" for forward and
>   backward patch name searching will be helpful.
>
>   It may also be helpful to have some kind confirmation at end of a record,
>   but that's a separate issue.
>
>       Mark

I'm not sure that this is entirely an improvement... it still leaves the
user confused as to on what basis darcs decide to include the change.  In
record, this option is very rarely different from 'n'--it only differs if
there are primitive patches with dependencies between them.

For unpull (or pull) it very often makes a big difference.  If I want to
pull only a given patch and its dependencies, I run pull, hit 'w' until I
get to the patch I want, then hit 'y' and 'd', and I've pulled that patch
and all its dependencies.

If you still think this patch is a good idea after this explanation (or if
anyone else has input), let me know.

http://www.darcs.net