QuickCheck, I assume? Re: [darcs-devel] "Arguments exhausted after 0 tests" during testing

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Fri Apr 8 09:33:04 PDT 2005

* Shae Matijs Erisson:

> Florian Weimer <fw at deneb.enyo.de> writes:
>
>> What does this message mean?  Is something broken in my setup, or
>> should I expect it?  Testing finshed without errors.
>
> Sounds like QuickCheck was unable to generate any random data values that
> matched the criteria.

Sorry, I don't understand what you are talking about.

The output looks like this:

Checking patch and inverse both commute for subcommute speedy_commute... OK, passed 100 tests.
Checking patch and inverse both commute for subcommute commute_filedir... OK, passed 100 tests.
Checking patch and inverse both commute for subcommute commute_filepatches... OK, passed 100 tests.
Checking patch and inverse both commute for subcommute simple_commute_conflict... Arguments exhausted after 0 tests.
Checking patch and inverse both commute for subcommute harder_commute_conflict... Arguments exhausted after 0 tests.
[...]
Checking nontrivial commutes are correct for subcommute commute_filepatches... Arguments exhausted after 70 tests.

And so on.

It seems that this message is not printed by darcs code, and I'm
confused because messages which contain "exhausted" usually aren't
harmless.

There is another problem: too many display updates during testing
increase testing time unnecessarily.