[darcs-devel] Re: QuickCheck, I assume?

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Fri Apr 8 14:03:29 PDT 2005

On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 07:36:36PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Shae Matijs Erisson:
> > When you combine QuickCheck generators and filters, after a certain
> > number of randomly generated data values have failured the filter,
> > the generate/filter loop bails out.
>
> And if the number printed is zero, no tests have been performed?  This
> is rather unfortunate because quite some time is spent generating the
> data (see the other thread about test performance).

When the number is zero, it usually means (I believe *always*) that the
test isn't actually relevant to that algorithm.  There's a list of
algorithms which should have certain properties, and unit looks for patches
on which to test them, and it can't find any.

The two that you quoted (in a different email) are tests of the new
conflictor code, which can't be checked because the test data doesn't
include any of that patch type, since it isn't enabled by default.  I use
them myself, though, when working on that code.