[darcs-devel] darcs unstable version

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Fri Apr 15 04:55:22 PDT 2005

On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 12:43:21PM +0200, Erik Schnetter wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 April 2005 13:35, David Roundy wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 12:31:59PM +0300, Jani Monoses wrote:
> > > it seems that the version string in darcs-unstable is the same as
> > > the one in stable Wouldn't it make more sense to call it something
> > > else than 1.0.2 ?
> >
> > That would make sense, but in the past we've only changed the version
> > string when we made a release.  Also note that darcs-stable is
> > currently tracking darcs-unstable pretty closely, since there hasn't
> > been too much "dangerous" development recently.
>
> Since both repositories are actually different from the released
> version, one could call them something like "1.0.2 (plus stable)" and
> "1.0.2 (plus unstable)", indicating the difference.  Maybe adding the
> date of the latest patch in the repository would also work.
>
> Now, if I could actually come up with a good version number suffix I
> would post a patch.

Perhaps we could use _darcs/prefs/defaultrepo to add to the name?

"1.0.2 from http://abridgegame.org/repos/darcs"
"1.0.2 from http://abridgegame.org/repos/darcs-unstable"

This could be done by configure.  It's not precise, but one can get precise
from the --exact-version.  The only catch is that _darcs/prefs/defaultrepo
is whatever repo you last pulled from (or sent to), which may not be quite
what you want.
http://www.darcs.net