[darcs-devel] Re: make check fails on darcs-unstable

Tommy Pettersson ptp at lysator.liu.se
Sat Apr 16 06:29:07 PDT 2005

On Sat, Apr 16, 2005 at 02:41:19AM +0000, Mark Stosberg wrote:
> On 2005-04-15, Tommy Pettersson <ptp at lysator.liu.se> wrote:
> > Then I propose that outputs from failing shell scripts are
> > printed by the shell_harness just like outputs from failing
> > perl tests are.  In this case the test failure mail would then
> > have included this output from tests/test_output/0_test.sh:
> >
> >   tests/bin/darcs is not executable
> >
> > Can some perl person (hi Mark) do this?
>
> This is easily done:
>
> use Shell::Command;
> cat 'file/to/cat.txt';

I can't get this to work.  When I try this the exit command
at the end of shell_harness seems to break so make will always
think the job failed.  If I remove the exit call thinks work,
so I suspect that exit is redefined by Shell::Command, but
I don't understand how.

> I'm not sure it's what we want, though. It certainly makes sense for a
> cron script mailed to people who can't read the output files, but in
> other cases may be too verbose.

Do we need a verbosity option for the test suite?  I agree
we don't want the extra output for interactive test runs,
but I think the cron script report is not very useful without
it so in a one-or-the-other situation I'm for the extra output.

It would not be so hard to put a VERBOSE_TEST_OUTPUT=1 in the
cron table, but on the other hand the test suite is starting
to get complicated.