[darcs-devel] Re: make check fails on darcs-unstable

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Sat Apr 16 09:09:08 PDT 2005

On 2005-04-16, Tommy Pettersson <ptp at lysator.liu.se> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 16, 2005 at 02:41:19AM +0000, Mark Stosberg wrote:
>> On 2005-04-15, Tommy Pettersson <ptp at lysator.liu.se> wrote:
>> > Then I propose that outputs from failing shell scripts are
>> > printed by the shell_harness just like outputs from failing
>> > perl tests are.  In this case the test failure mail would then
>> > have included this output from tests/test_output/0_test.sh:
>> >
>> >   tests/bin/darcs is not executable
>> >
>> > Can some perl person (hi Mark) do this?
>>
>> This is easily done:
>>
>> use Shell::Command;
>> cat 'file/to/cat.txt';
>
> I can't get this to work.

Tommy,

I just sent you a patch for this directly to you. Let me know if to
works for you. After looking at the code, another approach made more
sense.

> Do we need a verbosity option for the test suite?  I agree
> we don't want the extra output for interactive test runs,
> but I think the cron script report is not very useful without
> it so in a one-or-the-other situation I'm for the extra output.
>
> It would not be so hard to put a VERBOSE_TEST_OUTPUT=1 in the
> cron table, but on the other hand the test suite is starting
> to get complicated.

I agree. Try the patch that just prints the whole run if it fails and
we'll see if that works.

It's also not very hard to translate shell tests into Perl tests, which
produce nicer output when there are failures.

But it's easier for people to write and submit shell tests, so I'm not
sure I want to discourage that.

My personal plan to is to write better (any?) documentation about the
testing system works, so it will be easier for people to write and
update Perl tests themselves.

    Mark

--
http://mark.stosberg.com/