[darcs-devel] darcs patch: Unix commands are silent upon successful completion.

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Sun Apr 17 11:10:32 PDT 2005

Hi Ian,

> On Sun, Apr 17, 2005 at 09:54:53AM -0400, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> > [Unix commands are silent upon successful completion.
> > Ralph Corderoy <ralph at inputplus.co.uk>**20050417125849
> >  `darcs init' used to be noisy but isn't anymore.  `darcs opt' shouldn't
> >  be either.
> > ] {
> > hunk ./Optimize.lhs 96
> > -    putStrLn "Done optimizing!"
> > }
>
> I'd prefer this was changed to print only when we are in verbose mode
> instead, i.e. something like
>
>     when (Verbose `elem` opts) $ putStrLn "Done optimizing!"

I considered this but thought --verbose should say all the work it's
about to do, along with how it's progressing.  An `about to exit now'
verbose message seems unusual compared to other programs.  Does darcs
print them for other commands with --verbose?

I did think extra verbose output is required for the
compress/uncompress/migrate stages since they may take some time yet the
user doesn't know they're happening.  But that's another patch.  :-)

Cheers,

Ralph.