[darcs-devel] Darcs and git: plan of action

Erik Schnetter schnetter at aei.mpg.de
Sun Apr 24 03:08:04 PDT 2005

What is the goal of integrating darcs and git?  After the original
mentioning of the idea, I though that one would replace _darcs/current
by a git repository because this would be faster.  One could also store
some older versions of _darcs/current in git and access these
efficiently, speeding up various darcs commands.  Additionally, this
would allow people to easily "export" a darcs repository to git tools,
and therefore to Linus.

But the recent discussion seems to head towards a different scenario.
People suggested that one try to import from a git repository into
darcs without manual intervention, but then concluded that this would
probably not work without additional meta information.  (If it did
work, then all of "darcs add, remove, mv, replace" would be unnecessary
because this information could be obtained automatically.)

And now I am lost what the purpose of interfacing darcs and git should
be.  Is it using git within darcs?  Or importing from git into darcs?
Or exporting from darcs to git so that a re-import does not lose
information?  All of the above?  Or just some brainstorming?

-erik

--
Erik Schnetter <schnetter at aei.mpg.de>   http://www.aei.mpg.de/~eschnett/