[darcs-devel] Re: A darcs that can pull from git

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Tue Apr 26 04:06:17 PDT 2005

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 05:12:59PM +0200, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> > Do you have any plans/ideas for allowing pulls directly from a
> > remote git repository?
>
> I haven't thought about it yet.  Does anyone have any ideas about how
> to efficiently pull from git without a complete local copy?

I don't think so.  My best thought so far would be to have something like a
~/.gitcache/, which would store the sha1 objects themselves, so at least
we'd only end up with *one* local copy.  I'm actually curious what the true
git people do about this--it would be nice to share a cache.  For darcs'
purposes, we could prune the cache from time to time.  If we're running
with a darcs backend, we really only need the recent versions of files and
trees.

Do the git have any suggestions about how to avoid excess downloads or
excess copies of a git repository? It seems to me like it would make sense
to always download sha1s to ~/.gitcache/, and then hardlink them to the
current git repository, so you wouldn't end up ever downloading the same
sha1 twice.  Or we should use $GITCACHE/, to give the user some
flexibility.  But perhaps this is an already-solved problem, and I've just
not noticed...

As far as other details, currently we can just walk the tree to find out
what files are needed, right?
http://www.darcs.net