[darcs-devel] Re: Darcs-git pulling from the Linux repo: a Linux VM question

Juliusz Chroboczek Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr
Wed Apr 27 08:54:32 PDT 2005

>> For now, does anyone know how I can tune the Linux VM to get a 720
>> MB process to run reliably in 640 MB of main memory?

> I really think you're screwed.

Thanks, that's what I needed to know.

> You _really_ shouldn't read in files that you don't absolutely need.

Ahem... you don't expect me to embark on hacking Git without at least
understanding that, do you?

> That's really the biggest point of git: using the sha1 for naming the
> objects is really all about "descrive the contents using 20 bytes instead
> of by reading the contents".

Here we're speaking about the initial import.  Committed on 17 April
2005 by Linus Torvalds, with the comment ``Let it rip''.  220 MB of
changed files in a single commit.  2 minutes real time just to read
all the files, never mind doing anything useful with them.

To put it mildly, Darcs is not optimised for that sort of usage.

> Sorry.  You really need to fix darcs.

That's exactly why we're so interested in your repository.

                                        Juliusz