[darcs-devel] Re: Darcs-git pulling from the Linux repo: a Linux VM question

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Fri Apr 29 04:25:47 PDT 2005

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 05:36:01PM +0200, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> > When we're desperate, we'll special-case the initial commit, but
> > currently I'm sure we can pretty easily adjust things by making the
> > git-tree-reading lazy,
>
> Just to make it clear: reading the git tree is lazy.  The problem is
> somewhere in the higher layers, probably in pull_cmd.

I guess really that's the issue.  Get itself is a special case that we've
already optimized for the initial get.  You'll also run into trouble using
pull to grab an entire plain old darcs repository with a large initial
commit.  We can (and should) also optimize pull, but it's not going to ever
be as efficient as a get is, for the case where you start with an empty
repository.

> There's also another problem: reading the git tree takes 220MB.  Then
> Darcs allocates a further 500MB without calling my code at all.  (Some
> of it is doubtless due to linesPS, that should be more than a handful
> of megabytes.)

The output of linesPS actually does take a huge amount of space.
http://www.darcs.net