[darcs-devel] darcs patch: add an unused RepoFormat module.

Juliusz Chroboczek Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr
Sat Apr 30 13:33:32 PDT 2005

> Perhaps we should do is just define a format "darcs-1.0" which is
> equivalent to the current format, and is the default if
> _darcs/format isn't present.

Why not something like ``baseline'' ?

> Switching subjects a tad... will your identifyRepository code be an
> appropriate place to put this RepoFormat stuff?

Yes, it's the natural place to put it.

> And is that code sufficiently separable that it could go into
> darcs-stable? Any chance it could be made non-invasive enough to
> sneak into 1.0.3?

No.  The reason why the repository abstraction makes integrating the
RepoFormat a triviality is that I've changed all the commands to only
manipulate repositories through the abstraction.  So in darcs-git, you
only need to modify identifyRepository to get all the commands to
check the repo format; in plain Darcs, you'll need to modify all the
commands.

The other side of the coin is that you cannot get the benefits of the
restructuring without pulling the changes to all the commands.

I'm not sure what should be done...  If you do a manual integration of
RepoFormat into every Darcs command, you'll be duplicating my work,
and I'll get massive merge conflicts when I merge with you.

> I haven't looked at darcs-git recently.

That's okay.  I'll write a human-readable tutorial next week.

                                        Juliusz