[darcs-devel] darcs patch: Added --force option to get command

Zachary Landau kapheine at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 11:13:37 PDT 2005

> > Unfortunately, the get command refuses to create a repository in a
> > directory that already exists.  I added the --force option to get to
> > allow this sort of thing when you are sure it is want you want.
> > Hopefully other people agree that this is useful.
>
> I agree with Mark that this should have a clearer name.
> --overwrite-existing or --overwrite-existing-directory would seem better
> than --force.  Or perhaps just --use-existing-directory.  I prefer the
> previous two though, as I think that this option could be dangerous
> (e.g. it may overwrite your existing .vimarc), so I want to be sure people
> who use it know what they're getting.

I'm not sure I like --overwrite-existing, because to me that makes it
sound like it is necessarily destructive, as if it were going to
remove all files and then replace them with the repository.  But I
agree that --use-existing-directory doesn't hint at the possible
danger.  I think I like Mark's suggestion of --force-existing-dir
because (at least to me) the word force implies something that you
should be careful with.

I included the rest of your suggestions, but I'll hold off
resubmitting the patch until there is an agreement about the option
name.

Thanks to both of you for your comments.

--
Zachary P. Landau <kapheine at gmail.com>