[darcs-devel] darcs patch: use runProcess instead of system in win3... (and 1 more)

Esa Ilari Vuokko eivuokko at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 05:24:09 PST 2005

On 12/15/05, zooko at zooko.com <zooko at zooko.com> wrote:

> > Crud, being able to read from stdin is a really ugly side effect of
> > using system() but I can't see a way around it.
>
> I don't know if this is a reasonable kludge, but how about darcs looks for the
> GPG password prompt, then reads from stdin, then sends the result to GPG?  :-)

I think the whole point here is that we use only one way to invoke
external programs.  And probably nobody wants to go down the
lane that leads darcs having interfacing code for all sorts of diffrent
programs on diffrent platforms.

Maybe, as a long-term plan, all darcs external programs should be
parametrisable via environment variables (and maybe some file) and
use similar syntax as --sendmail-command.  Then we could have
syntax (or maybe deduct from used variables) whetever standard
filehandles need to be bound to files, null or console.

Best regards,
--Esa