[darcs-devel] Re: darcs patch: use C library version of isprint in ColourPrinter

Tommy Pettersson ptp at lysator.liu.se
Mon Dec 19 02:02:20 PST 2005

On Sun, Dec 18, 2005 at 08:22:49PM +0100, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> > There's no attempt to (completely) solve the problem with utf-8 so
> > far.
>
> Why not?

The user's file contents that are escaped when printing
(e.g., hunks) to the terminal, can be in any encoding, even
multiple encodings or home-made encodings.  It's much work
for little general use to go from simple octet passing to
optional utf-8 interpreting.

> > Mark Stosberg had the problem on FreeBSD 4.10 with perl 5.8.0.
>
> I suspect that the locale support on FreBSD 4.10 is deficient.  I know
> for instance that my NetBSD 1.6 box has very primitive locale support.

Hm, maybe I could try and write an autoconf test to disable
DARCS_DONT_ESCAPE_ISPRINT if libc's isprint (or Haskell's
isPrint) isn't working.