[darcs-devel] darcs patch: Implementation of help command

Marnix Klooster marnix.klooster at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 14:29:26 PST 2005

Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:

>>  Provides a command to display usage information on the screen.
>>   darcs help           = darcs --help
>>   darcs help --verbose = darcs --extended-help
>>   darcs help command   = darcs command --help
>>

>On the one hand, we have a policy of avoiding command synonims.  On
>the other hand, more ways of getting help is a good thing.
>
>So I would be tempted to accept this patch.  Opinions?

Agreed.  The user that has been able to find "darcs --help" already has
enough information to find the command names, and there I agree with the
policy of having no synonyms.  That is what is needed for simplicity,
and for communication between darcs users.  ("I just obliterated that
patch." "Please pull from my repository.")

But this is very useful for a novice darcs user that is still looking
for help.  Synonyms don't get in the way of communication there.

Also, different version control systems have different command line
structures for getting general and specific help, so supporting multiple
command line UIs for this will help (sic) people finding their way
around in darcs quicker.

Groetjes,
 <><
Marnix