[darcs-devel] hints on how to debug?

nu6ohq602 at sneakemail.com nu6ohq602 at sneakemail.com
Sun Feb 6 11:10:40 PST 2005

>> I quite like the Observe combinator from Hood:
>>    http://haskell.org/hood/basics.htm
>
> How is that different from trace?

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by trace; I'm going to assume you
mean hat. Like I said hat now has hat-observe which seems to do the same
thing. I still prefer the original observe combinator for 2 reasons:
- hat-observe is not useable in an interpretive environment such as
   hugs.
- It seems inserting calls to observe is simpler than modifying my
   build process. Perhaps this is subjective, but hood is definitely
   simpler than hat.

Neither is terribly important. IIRC hat-observe didn't exist a year or
two ago when I last tried out hat. Then the choice was starker
between grovelling through enormous traces that hat generated (at best
submitting to an interrogation of yes/no questions) and sticking to my
old debug-by-print method using observe.

Kartik